JOB TITLE Making Places – Director
SALARY £35,000 basic plus performance related bonuses
HOURS 35 hours per week
CONTRACT LENGTH 12 months, with 3-year extension based upon performance and continued funding
LOCATION St Mary’s Complex, Waverley Street, Bootle
RESPONSIBLE TO SAFE CEO
REPORTING TO Making places Steering Group
Liverpool City Region Community Led Housing Hub
Community Led Housing Director
Working with organisations across the Liverpool City Region and Making Places (“the community led housing partnership”), the partnership wishes to create a Community Led Housing Hub with the aims to significantly boost the delivery of community-led housing in the Liverpool City Region.
Through the incubator organisation (SAFE Regeneration) the partnership wishes to appoint a Community led Housing Director with overall responsibility for the programme.
- actively engage local authorities to provide practical advice about how and where they can support community led housing schemes in their area
- provide information to be a first point of contact via an online and physical presence for anyone interested in getting involved with community-led housing in the Combined Authorities, including signposting and information sharing
- build knowledge and capacity within communities and connected sectors – Information sharing, peer-to-peer learning, site visits, knowledge building and sharing, technical skills training, facilitating CLH group formation and growth, and developing community housing leaders
- offer technical support for projects, e.g. short bursts of free support, surgeries, workshops, set number of days’ access to technical experts for community led housing groups
- broker partnerships and develop links with Councils funders, land owners, technical service providers, mortgage lenders, and others, providing further capacity building.
- managing the finances of the hub, including developing the ‘self-financing’ strategy
- developing and managing positive stakeholder relationships
- managing the reputation of the hub to ensure that the hub is used and valued by community groups in particular
- managing staff, consultants or associates
- monitoring and evaluating outcomes
- reporting to Making places Steering Group
- promoting and managing the public face of the hub
Main Outputs will include:
- Develop evidence which supports the role of the cooperative and mutual sector generally and the benefits which it could generate for Liverpool City Region
- Build from lessons and best practice in Community Led Housing throughout the UK
- Work with appropriate partners to provide business advice and support to grow Community Led Housing provision; and
- Overcome the challenges and address the barriers that the sector faces.
Key Outcomes will include:
- Assist in bringing to fruition key community-led housing Projects in the City region.
- a increase in the number of community-led homes started/built in Liverpool City Region
- increased access to land and funding for CLH in the Liverpool City Region
- positive feedback about the hub as a resource for local communities, councils, landowners, funders, and others interested in making community led housing a mainstream housing option
- increased awareness of the potential for CLH in the region, with increased enthusiasm and local community capacity to lead projects
- shared learning being embedded in organisations, so that the delivery of CLH becomes easier, faster, cheaper, and more reliable over time
- the establishment of arrangements for the hub to be a long term and self-financing body
The Person Specification
The successful candidate will have…….
- Housing development experience in any sector
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of a range of CLH approaches
- Excellent track record of working with communities to create new business and innovative approach
- Housing development/planning and scheme appraisal/financial modelling experience
- Strong project management skills
- Good understanding of risk and risk management
- Knowledge of local authority housing development and planning issues
- Knowledge of legal issues related to affordable and community-led housing
- Knowledge of likely sources of grant funding for CLH schemes
- Excellent communication skills across a range of audiences and approaches
- A network of relevant and helpful contacts or the ability to quickly establish one
- Experience of writing proposals and reports, including funding submissions
- Experience of working with and being accountable to a board or committee
- Experience of commissioning and managing consultants
- Experience of managing a team
Driven, Passionate, a Leader, Focussed, Enabler, Positive, Self-Motivated, Commercially Minded, Socially Aware, Communicative, Collaborative, Problem Solver, Excellent Negotiating Skills, Community Led
It is central to the success of the hub that the Project Director builds and leads the project by working:
- in collaboration with others including the existing sector bodies and local authorities
- in a communicative and open way
- efficiently, with a focus on maximising the delivery of new CLH homes in a way that shares and embeds learning and aims to avoid duplication.
INTERVIEWS WILL THE PLACE ON THE 7TH February 2020 BETWEEN 9:30 – 3PM
Click here for the recruitment pack.
Click here for the application form.